Frequently Asked Counseling Questions


Class Enrollment


Q: I did not get into the classes I want.  What can I do?
A: If you did not get into the classes you wanted to, you could:


Q: What does it mean to crash a course?
A: Crashing a course means you are trying to enroll in a course after the registration
    period ended, but before the add deadline (adjustment period), either because the
    course was full at the time you attempted to enroll in it or you decided to add the course
    after the registration period has ended.


Q: How do I crash a course?
A: Contact the department to see if the department has a set procedure for crashing a
    course.If the department does not have a crash procedure, attend the first day of class
    for the course you want to crash. If the instructor accepts crashers, the instructor will
    give you an add code. Log onto your WebPortal and enter in the schedule number and
    the add code of the particular course you are trying to enroll in.


Q: How do I drop a class?
A: Classes can be dropped through your WebPortal accountduring the adjustment period.
    From the "My Registration" screen on WebPortal click on "Drop a class" and then select
    courses to be dropped.


Q: How do I substitute a class?
A: To substitute a class, log onto your WebPortal account.  From the "My Registration"
    screen, click on "Substitute a class." If you are attempting to substitute a class after the
    registration period, you are essentially crashing the course and will need to obtain an
    add code for the course. Substitutions must be completed before the add/drop


Q: How do I change my major?
A: To change your major, complete the declaration of major form available in the
    Registrars' Office. Take the completed form to your new major department to be signed
    by the department chair.  Once approved by the major department, return it to the
    Registrar's Office.


Q: How many units do I have to enroll in to be considered a full-time student?
A: Twelve (12) units.


EOP Grant


Q: Why didn’t I get the EOP grant?
A: The EOP grant is awarded to students through the Financial Aid Office based on financial     need and full-time status as long as funds are available. If you think you are qualify for
    the EOP Grant and did not receive it, check with the Financial Aid Office.


Q: Do I have to be a full-time student to qualify for the EOP grant?
A: Yes.


Transferring From the Community Colleges


Q: What is the maximum number of units that can be transferred from the community colleges?
A: Seventy (70) units.


Q: I’ve transferred 70 units from the community colleges.  Can I still take classes at the community college to satisfy major and/or general education requirements?
A: SDSU will accept a maximum of 70 units from the community colleges. Once you have
    transferred 70 units from the community college, you can still take lower-division
    courses to satisfy major or general education, but you will only be awarded a maximum
    of 70 units toward the number of units needed to graduate.


Q: I participated in EOPS at the community college.  What is the difference between EOPS and EOP?
A: EOPS and EOP both provide academic support services to low-income students.
    EOPS’ income guidelines must be met on a continuous basis to continue to receive EOPS
    services. EOPS students must also attend a certain number of workshops each semester
    to remain eligible. In addition to counseling, EOPS services include book vouchers.
    Once you are admitted to EOP, you are always in EOP and do not have to continuously
    maintain eligibility to remain in the program. EOP provide a $500 grant per semester for
    full-time students who demonstrate financial need on an as-available fund basis.


Q: I took classes at a community college.  Where do I send my transcripts?
A: Official transcripts from other colleges should be sent to the SDSU Registrar’s Office.






Q: When do I take the Writing Placement Exam (WPA)?

A: -Continuing students:Continuing students must take the WPA during the semester in
      which they are completing (60) units or in the semester immediately following.
    -Transfer student. Transfer students are eligible to take the WPA once they have
     received an offer of admission. They must take the examination during their first
     semester at SDSU.


Q: What class should I take if I do not pass the WPA?
A: Students who score 7 or lower are required to take RWS 280 or RWS 281 or LING 281.
    Students who score 8 or 9 are required to take an approved upper-division writing




Meeting with EOP Counselor


Q: How many times must I schedule an appointment to meet with an EOP counselor?
A: As an EOP student, you are responsible for scheduling at least two (2) thirty-minute
    appointments with your assigned counselor per semester, unless otherwise advised by
    your counselor.


Q: Must I see the same counselor all the time?
A: We prefer that EOP students see their assigned counselors.


Q: Do walk-in appointments count toward the 2 appointments with my EOP counselor?
A: No. Walk-in appointments are designed to answer quick questions that may arise during
    the academic year.




Course Forgiveness


Q: How many course forgiveness chances do I have?
A: Students may use course forgiveness for a maximum of 16 semester units as part
    of the 28-unit course repeat limit.


Q: How do I file for course forgiveness?
A: Course forgiveness can be filed after the add/drop deadlines. Log onto your WebPortal and click on “course forgiveness”.


Q: How many times can I repeat the same course for course forgiveness?
A: A course may be repeated once for course forgiveness.




Printing on Campus


Q: Where can I print on campus?  How much does it cost to print?
A: Printing can be done at the Center for Academic Assistance and Training (CAAT) lab.
    It costs 5¢ per page.  Printing can also be done at the library for 10¢ per page.
    Unfortunately, there isn’t any place on campus that allows you to print for free.