Who Needs to Take the Liberal Studies Mathematics Proficiency Assessment?
The Liberal Studies Mathematics Proficiency Assessment meets the Math Placement requirement for Mathematics 312 (Topics from Elementary Mathematics: Statistics and Probability) or Mathematics 313 (Topics in Elementary Mathematics: Algebra of Change). In addition to this assessement, students wishing to enroll in Mathematics 312 or 313 must also be admitted to the Liberal Studies major.
The Liberal Studies Mathematics Proficiency Assessment has two sections of 18 questions each. Each section is separately timed. You will have 30 minutes to complete Section 1 and 45 minutes to complete Section 2.
NOTE: Liberal Studies majors are limited to a maximum of two attempts. Students unable to pass within two attempts should contact the Liberal Studies department for advising and further instructions. The Liberal Studies Mathematics Proficiency Assessment is not transferrable to another university or college.
The exam fee is a non-refundable $20.00 and may not be transferred to another individual or to a different exam. To transfer to a different exam date and/or time, you must bring a printed copy of your Admission Ticket to Testing Services (SSW 2549) no later than 12:00 p.m. the business day prior to the exam date. Testing Services is open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Once you have registered and paid for the exam, your Admission Ticket will be available to print. You must bring a printed copy of your Admission Ticket to be admitted to your exam. Electronic copies are not acceptable. You can access and print your Admission Ticket here.
Sign up and take the exam at SDSU. Exam dates, times, and deadlines are listed below. You may register one of three ways, although online registration is preferred.
- Online registration: Liberal Studies Mathematics Proficiency Assessment
- Mail-in registration: Mail-in Registration Form
- In-person registration: Come to SDSU Testing Services (SSW 2549), Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. for instructions
** Please note that some test results may not be available prior to the next scheduled test date, so plan your test date accordingly.
Students Requesting Accommodations
1. If you have not already met with SDSU Student Ability Success Center (SASC), register for a regularly-scheduled exam (see above).
2. Register with SASC, who will authorize appropriate accommodations for each test requested.
3. Once SASC has placed the appropriate accommodations on the SDSU Testing Services reservation system for the specific exam you are requesting, email Testing Services at STAAR@sdsu.edu with your name, Red ID number or SDSUID, the exam(s) for which you registered, the date(s) of the exam(s), and a request for testing accommodations.
4. Once your request is reviewed and approved, Testing Services will email reporting instructions to you. Please carefully review the information and bring a printed copy of the email as your Admission Ticket.
5. Accommodation requests must be received at least 2 weeks prior to the exam to ensure your accommodation(s) are available.
Directions and parking information: Click here for exams proctored at SDSU.
Test information, fees, and assessment dates and times are subject to change without notice.