According to the SDSU General Catalog, enrollment in Chemistry 200 or 202 is limited to those who have either:
1. Completed Chemistry 100 (or equivalent) with a grade of "C" or better,
2. Satisfied the CSU Entry Level Mathematics (ELM) requirement (taken and received a score of 50 or higher) AND passed the SDSU Chemistry Department Placement Exam.
3. If you received a score of Higher 5-7 on the International Baccalaureate (IB) Chemistry exam, you should receive credit for Chemistry 100 and will not need to take the Chemistry Department Placement Exam.
- If you received a score of 3, 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement (AP) Chemistry Exam, you should receive credit for Chemistry 200 and 201 and will not need to take the Chemistry Department Placement Exam.
- If you plan to enroll in Chemistry 100 your first semester rather than Chemistry 200, you do NOT need to take the Chemistry Department Placement Exam.
NOTE: The Chemistry Department Placement Exam is not transferrable to another university or college.
General Exam Information
The Chemistry Department Placement Exam is a timed, 45-minute exam composed of 44 multiple choice items. The minimum passing score is 22. There is no penalty for guessing. Silent, non-printing, non-programmable calculators are permitted. Students are limited to a maximum of two attempts.
Recommended study guide: Schaum's Easy Outline - Beginning Chemistry by David A. Goldberg.
Sample Chemistry Placement Exam Questions
If you plan to enroll in Chemistry 200 for the Fall 2017 semester, you are strongly encouraged to take the Chemistry Department Placement Exam prior to your attendance at New Student Orientation this summer. Two options for taking the exam are available to you:
1. Sign up and take the exam at SDSU. Exam dates, times, and deadlines are listed below.
2. Request that the exam be proctored at an approved testing center close to your home. For details, please visit the Remote Proctoring of Select SDSU Placement Exams webpage. There is an additional $10.00 SDSU exam fee in addition to any fees charged by the approved testing center.