EOP Mentor Program
SOAR (Success, Opportunity, Academics, Relationship)
is the Mentor Program of The Office of Educational Opportunity Programs and Ethnic Affairs (EOP). Through its components of success, opportunity for academic development, retention and graduation it allows EOP students to SOAR. The SOAR Mentor Program pairs trained upper-class student mentors with incoming freshmen called protégés. Mentors serve as guides to assist new students through the maze of rules, regulations, expectations, and activities of general college life.
should apply to be a Protégé?
- First semester students
- Students who would appreciate the guidance, support and friendship of an experienced SDSU student
Benefits for New Students
- Have a friend;
- Receive peer support and motivation;
- Accelerates adjustment to campus;
- Work with a high-achieving Junior or Senior EOP student;
- Introduced to social and developmental campus activities;
- Develop discipline;
- Able to share thoughts, feelings, experiences, and ideas with someone who will not be judgmental
Mentors in the EOP SOAR Program:
- Commit to their protégé for a minimum of the protégé’s first semester;
- Are asked to spend a minimum of one hour per week with each protégé;
- Have already attended the University for four semesters, completed 60 units and maintain a minimum of a 2.5 grade point average;
- Are trained in relationship enhancement and communication skills and in the offerings of University services to be able to help a student succeed at the University.
(For DOC files, download Word Viewer if needed)
should apply to be a Mentor?
- Students with at least Junior standing
- Students with a keen interest in helping others
- Students with excellent faculty references
Benefits for Mentors
- Gaining a greater understanding of the education system;
- Feeling further connected with the University;
- Gaining training and experience that may be beneficial on their resume;
- Increasing their awareness of the diversity at SDSU, and
- Becoming acquainted with other like-minded mentors.