Financial Aid & Scholarships


Sources of Financial Assistance

All SDSU students are encouraged to apply for any and all scholarships for which they may be eligible. A scholarship is an award of financial aid given to a student with the intent of furthering their education. They are awarded on criteria specific to the donor of the award and generally reflect their values and purposes. An excellent academic record is the benchmark of the majority of merit based scholarships and requires a minimum GPA of 3.5 or higher.

Exchange Students

Exchange students do not pay SDSU tuition and therefore are not eligible for SDSU sponsored financial assistance with food& housing, books, health insurance and personal expenses. Any funding if available should come from your home institution.


Intercultural Ambassador Program

This annual scholarship program, a collaborative effort of the SDSU International Student Center and the International Studies Education Project of San Diego (ISTEP), is a combined student leadership development/community outreach initiative designed to promote greater intercultural awareness and international goodwill in the San Diego public schools. For more information click here.


Graduate Students


Departmental Assistantships

Masters and PhD students are strongly encouraged to contact their department advisors to inquire about Graduate Assistantship (GA) and Teaching Assistantship (TA) positions. TAs may perform a number of duties for a professor, but typically they teach a discussion session and/or grade papers. GAs often conduct research with faculty or work with faculty on other projects. Both TA and GA positions are paid positions that international students are eligible for. Note: In some departments you can also apply to be a TA or GA in other departments where you have an expertise.


Tuition Waivers

Along with a GA or TA position, many departments give out tuition waivers as well to selected students. This is an excellent source of financial support that is offered to top students. Talk to your graduate advisor before you come to campus to inquire about tuition waivers.