Congratulations on making the decision to study abroad! You are on your way to becoming a Global Aztec and taking advantage of all of the benefits that studying abroad offers you.
Please review each section below and follow the instructions so you can stay on track to study abroad.
- Create your Study Abroad Profile
- Log in to Aztecs Abroad, the SDSU study abroad application system, with your RedID and WebPortal password to active your profile and search for programs
- Once you have completed the steps below, you will also use Aztecs Abroad to submit your application (depending the program type you select—you may only select one program type—there may be additional applications steps, as outlined in Aztecs Abroad)
- Get a Passport
- Make sure to apply for or renew your passport as soon as possible to minimize delay later
- You will need a passport during the application process.
- Attend a General Information Session in the International Student Center (ISC)
- Each General Information Session is a half hour in person group advising session guiding you through the basics of going abroad
- Business majors must attend a study abroad workshop hosted by the College of Business; in addition, it is recommended that business majors also attend the General Information Session at the ISC
- International Business (IB) majors must meet with the appropriate advisor in the IB department
- Conduct research on programs
- Visit the Education Abroad Office for Program Selection Advising
- Education Abroad Advisors can assist you in finalizing your program selection, discussing you goals, considering academic implications and discussing financial aid and scholarships
- Walk-in advising is available -Mondays and Wednesdays, 12 pm to 3 pm
- Appointments are available -Monday through Thursday 10 am to 4 pm -Fridays 10 am to 12 pm
- Consult with your Academic Advisor(s)
- Review your degree audit in WebPortal for remaining graduation requirements
- Discuss coursework abroad and how it may meet major or minor requirements
- Complete a study abroad application
- Log into Aztecs Abroad and follow the instructions for submitting an application
- Note that each program type has a different application process (with some SDSU program, such as ISEP and CSU-IP, you need to submit a separate application in addition to completing your Aztecs Abroad online application)
- You may only apply to one program type for the same academic term
- Application deadlines and eligibility requirements vary
- Talk with your Family
- Family can offer valuable support as you progress through the adventure of studying abroad, so you should keep them informed of your ideas and plans
- Encourage your parents to review our Parents section if they have concerns or questions
- Consider Financial Aid and Scholarships and create a budget
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view, download Adobe Acrobat Reader.