Work Abroad


Working overseas after graduation can provide multiple benefits.  It can offer an opportunity to gain international professional experience attractive to potential employers, but also serve as a platform for living and traveling in another country for an extended period of time.  In any case, the process can take considerable research and planning.  We recommend first deciding if you are looking for short or long term work.


Short-Term Work


Paid positions on a short-term basis are most common in non-career related work in the service and tourism sectors or teaching English.  These jobs generally do not require the specific skills often necessary for internships and are not eligible for academic credit or financial aid.  Young people often view these positions as a way to learn more about the work environment in a particular destination before possibly seeking out more permanent employment.


Many program providers are available that for a fee offer support services and serve as the applicant’s visa sponsor.  Please see the list of references below to search for programs.


Long-Term Work


Locating long-term positions beyond unskilled service jobs can take more time and perseverance.  Many people find career-related positions by beginning to work for an international company in the United States, which may later transfer them to a branch office abroad.  It can be difficult to obtain a work permit to work legally in a foreign country, so being an employee of a U.S. company and agency can be easier.


You should also investigate the tax requirements and implications before working abroad.  Access the IRS website for more details.


Jobs through the United States government:


U.S. Department of State Foreign Service
Foreign Service Specialists and Officers work at over 265 government posts worldwide, including embassies, consulates, and diplomatic missions.   The Foreign Service Written Exam is required for all applicants.


Peace Corps
Peace Corps is a well-respected U.S. governmental program that places U.S. citizens around the world to participate in international development activities.  Each volunteer receives a living stipend and a relocation allowance at the end of his/her two-year contract.  The program can also help pay off student loans.


Online References:


U.S. Department of State Resources


Transitions Abroad


GoAbroad Jobs


The Big Guide to Working Overseas